Cuttlefish bone / mineral blocks

edarling

Hatchling
My Linnie, Goose, hasn't touched the cuttlefish bone or the mineral block at all since I've gotten him. They are both in the cage. I changed the cuttlefish bone holder to see if that was the issue, but no dice. I remember the budgies I had as a kid would use the cuttlefish bone a lot, so I thought that this was just a species difference, but I read on another thread about beaks being too long, and now I'm wondering if this is an issue. I've attached a few photos. (We are new at this- just figuring out how to clip the toe nails- so any help is appreciated!)

Attachments

LinnieGirl

Staff member
Good to Leave a cuttlebone and/or mineral block in the cage. They seem to only use it when needed. Mine seem to prefer the mineral block over the cuttlebone. Some don’t seem to use at all.

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
I too find Linnies almost never touch a cuttlebone. Not even egg laying females. Hence why I supplement with Calcivet. Helpful for males as well as it contains D3 that animals and humans are almost always deficient in. Calcium also helps the nervous system remain healthy.

Goose does appear to have a little extra growth on the end of the beak. I find stress and genetics to be the most common cause. I like to use 1 Sandy Perch in the cage to help, as well as toys that they can work on with the beak to keep it trim. Sometimes it signals a molt coming on, and the little flake part at the end may well go back to normal when it is complete. I think it is more system stress from the molt that causes the little overgrowth, not the actual molt itself. Some people run to trim it, but it is believed it can cause a reliance on trims are you can mess up the natural "bite" that helps them naturally wear it down.