Harness Training

srirachaseahawk

Fledgling
Has anyone harness trained their Linnie?
And by that I mean, “Has anyone gotten their Linnie to tolerate a harness so that it will sit on your shoulder and go for a walk outside?”

I picked up an appropriately sized Aviator Harness with the intention of trying to get my Linnie used to it for some warmer weather walks.

I’m just curious what kind of success others have had.

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
They need to be introduced to it early. I would ask the breeder if she is willing to work with him on it. You could offer to mail the harness to her. Not impossible later, but it definitely is MUCH harder after they have fledged. The baby is used to being handled a lot on the body by the breeder, so its a good time to introduce it.

srirachaseahawk

Fledgling
They need to be introduced to it early. I would ask the breeder if she is willing to work with him on it. You could offer to mail the harness to her. Not impossible later, but it definitely is MUCH harder after they have fledged. The baby is used to being handled a lot on the body by the breeder, so its a good time to introduce it.
That's a great idea, let me see if she is game for it!

srirachaseahawk

Fledgling
She has some spare aviators and will begin training with him as he fledges 👍🏻

srirachaseahawk

Fledgling

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
Some great photography in that article too! Good luck with your training. Keeping it positive will really help. Watch for hawks when outside, I had a friend that had a cockatiel stolen off her shoulder by one. Kestrels and Coopers are especially fast. I'm so excited for you! Going to be so much fun to bring home your baby ♥

srirachaseahawk

Fledgling
The breeder is already starting to get him acclimated to having the harness around, so hopefully we can incorporate that into our training process.
I'm also on the list for a second Linnie in a few months, so he'll have a little brother ;)

I live where it's quite cold, so ideally we work on harness training indoors for the colder months and then when it starts to get warm outside, we try our luck.
I often go for walks during my mid-day break, so it would be nice to have them along for the ride if they were game!

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
That will be great! Another option some of my clients like is the bird carrier backpacks. They can see out, yet are totally safe. Most take to them quickly once they figure out the acrylic bubble front actually is a barrier.