Taming

Lisa

Hatchling
About 6 weeks ago I purchased a male and female pair of Linnies that have been used for breeding. I plan to breed them this spring. I don’t know all the history but it doesn’t seem like they have ever been worked with. They are very nervous. We are quarantining them in my daughters bedroom as we have other birds and she spends time with the cage door open while doing homework and on zoom meetings etc. They seem to be getting comfortable with her and even take millet from her hand. Has anyone had success taming in this type of situation? Or since I am hoping to breed them should i just provide a good environment and care but not interact much ??

LinnieGirl

Staff member
About 6 weeks ago I purchased a male and female pair of Linnies that have been used for breeding. I plan to breed them this spring. I don’t know all the history but it doesn’t seem like they have ever been worked with. They are very nervous. We are quarantining them in my daughters bedroom as we have other birds and she spends time with the cage door open while doing homework and on zoom meetings etc. They seem to be getting comfortable with her and even take millet from her hand. Has anyone had success taming in this type of situation? Or since I am hoping to breed them should i just provide a good environment and care but not interact much ??
congratulations on your new Linnies! It’s not impossible to tame linnies that haven’t ever been worked with but it will take time and patience. Interacting with them as much as possible will help them become accustomed to you and start to trust you. Even if it’s just sitting quietly with them talking. Millet and apple treats usually help speed things along. But the main thing is to try not to rush them. Let them come to you in their own time and don’t give up. Most will come around eventually. 😊

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
If you wish to use them for a breeding pair, I wouldn't worry about stressing them or the family on trying to tame them. Building a rapport is important as I swear Linnies know when they are loved and cared for and breed best in those situations, but a bonded breeder pair is usually not going to be "pet" tamable when not purchased as babies. I would give them amazing care, and enjoy them as their own family unit.... with your support for success.

Lisa

Hatchling
Thanks. I was wondering if to much interaction would be stressful for them. They have actually come a long way in the couple months since we got them. As I mentioned we are keeping them quarantined in my daughters bedroom so they get some human interaction in the evenings but they are mostly away from the family and other birds dogs etc... since they are not tamed will setting up their cage in the family room cause difficulty with them breeding due to stress?

LinnieGirl

Staff member
Thanks. I was wondering if to much interaction would be stressful for them. They have actually come a long way in the couple months since we got them. As I mentioned we are keeping them quarantined in my daughters bedroom so they get some human interaction in the evenings but they are mostly away from the family and other birds dogs etc... since they are not tamed will setting up their cage in the family room cause difficulty with them breeding due to stress?
It could. The fewer interactions with an untame breeding pair the better. They can react to stress by abandoning eggs or chicks or actually do them harm.

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
Its funny.... I find it always a case of trial and error, and with Linnies, something you do this year may work and not the next. You just have to be willing to roll with the punches. I keep my breeding pairs quite in their own, same species breeding room, but I know a lady that keeps her breeding pair in a chaos place of the home. Some take birds "for a ride" in the car to stress them to trigger breeding. I read an article once that said birds want to procreate when they think their own lives are coming to a soon end. I go the peaceful route, but hey.... you never know until you try it. If you wish to make these tame and more steady, the busy part of the house will work to desensitize them in many cases. Dogs? Hmm... never tried that one. Predators trotting around may be a wild card.