Toys are scary?

edarling

Hatchling
Does anyone have advice on getting your linnie to interact with new toys and perches?

We have a few things that Goose loves to play with, including a perch and foraging toy in his cage, but outside the cage is another story. When I'm working from home he's generally just on my shoulder (or my keyboard...) and doesn't have any interest in the various perches and play things I have around my desk. I've been moving them around and trying to encourage him to play, but no dice. He's also definitely scared of a little ball with a bell we got him. So far the most fun thing is just a crumpled up post it note.

srirachaseahawk

Fledgling
This is very similar to my experience as well.
I have a whole playground for my boys when they are out of their cage, but they don't usually use much of it.

I've found that toy placement seems to help. Just because they don't touch it when it's in one place, doesn't mean they won't if it gets moved (same with in the cage).
Also, when they are out I have a lot of foraging toys for them. Foraging bins, scattered seeds on a plate, small foraging boxes stuffed with nutriberries and crinkle paper, etc.
Otherwise, yes...they spend the day on my shoulder :)

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
The type of toy can help. I find spiral straws and busy bead sort of ones that are not too large, most popular. I agree playstands can be tough to keep Linnie's on if not clipped heavily as a shoulder is a much better spot! A foraging box like Srirachasehawk mentioned may be a good option. How has Goose been doing? I think he was contact calling before. After this month the days start to shorten again, that may assist it if hormone related.

edarling

Hatchling
Thank you both. Since I posted Goose has made a lot of progress with the calling and a little progress with the toys. I've been trying to lure him onto this boing in the window by my desk for ages, and he finally got on it for a few minutes yesterday (just long enough to eat a seed ball! yum!) It's so fun to see the progress even if it's slow.

The foraging box is a great idea. I set up a modified tissue box full of little scrunched paper balls and treats- the HUGE bonus is that it mostly contains the mess!! Is that what you meant? (in the first picture)

Attachments