Cockatiels & Linnies

srirachaseahawk

Fledgling
I'm sure that there are some of you out there that have both species as pets :)

How does that generally go?
Not housing them together obviously, but their interactions with each other. They seem to be pretty mellow species that "on paper" would get along nicely?

Love My Linnie

Hatchling
I have a male cockatiel I adopted through a rescue 6 years ago. He lives in his own very large cage in the same room as my 11 budgies, who all have their own large cages. The budgies are loose all day, but I never let the cockatiel out loose with the budgies because they love to tease him and I’m afraid he could really hurt one of them. He generally ignores them, but they’re fascinated by him. Maybe if they all had been raised together, they might get along better with each other.

LinnieGirl

Staff member
Linnies and cockatiels get along very well. they make great buddies but always supervise to be sure.

budgies have a totally different personality and cannot be trusted to be alone with other species unsupervised. They are randomly aggressive when hormonal and can cause serious injury to other birds including death. I know a lot of folks who keep them together with no issues and just as many who have lost or nearly lost birds to a budgies sudden attack. It’s all fine til it’s not. And if you’re not there to intervene, the victim bird pay the price.

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
I keep Linnies, Cockatiels and Budgies together with little issue. That said, the smallest walk in flight they are in together is 4 foot wide, 8 high, 9 long. So, outside of the cages in a traditional setup I think you would be fine. Supervision in the beginning especially important. I have a client that keeps 3 Cockatiel males and an English Budgie hen in a 6' flight, 45" tall, 21" deep without a problem. Introductions started in a neutral room to start.

srirachaseahawk

Fledgling
Thanks!
Leaning towards a female (when I actually have space) since I work from home and I prefer a slightly “quieter” bird.

Love My Linnie

Hatchling
I have a male cockatiel and he is definitely not a “quieter” bird! He is especially louder when Toula (Linnie) is calling for me. He mirrors her calls with very loud screams.😖 Thankfully I can close the door to the room he’s in with my budgies.

srirachaseahawk

Fledgling
I have a male cockatiel and he is definitely not a “quieter” bird! He is especially louder when Toula (Linnie) is calling for me. He mirrors her calls with very loud screams.😖 Thankfully I can close the door to the room he’s in with my budgies.
Kinda what I'd like to avoid ;)
My birds are out with me during the day while I work, and Linnies are famously quiet birds.
I'd like to be able to take a call without someone asking, "Is someone whistling 'September'"?

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks!
Leaning towards a female (when I actually have space) since I work from home and I prefer a slightly “quieter” bird.
Cockatiels make fantastic pets! The hens are my favorite, they are generally quiet and oh so sweet and tolerant! Males I find much more bratty as a general rule, though they are fun and "cheeky" with their songs, tapping their beak on things, picking up tunes easily, and even talking some. We have a really sweet and cuddly male, but he is noisy. Only downside to cockatiel hens is the fear of egg binding. Linnie hens are not prolific egg layers (hence the species rarity) but cockatiels are. This causes them to get into trouble if egg laying isn't prevented, and just as important... handled properly when it occurs. The tricks in the section here for Linnies "Discouraging Breeding Behaviors" works for them as well. One big hurdle is the temptation to stroke, pat and cuddle their backs. Big trigger, and big time fun for us when cuddling for hours on the couch with them. So... you just have to restrain the temptation when they are in condition. Same thing as kissing their beaks. Hard to resist! Really nice species however.