Hand Feeding Formula?

MMRK

Freshly Laid Egg
I have used Kaytee Exact for quite some time as it seems to be readily available from Petco/PetSmart locally. However, I have also recently tried Psittacus and Lafeber's Nutri Start. The Kaytee and Psittacus seemed about the same, but the Psittacus was a bit easier to mix. What is a great formula that is good at putting a healthy weight on Linnies and what does everyone here use? Thanks!

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
We used to use Kaytee, but I found it too grainy. Especially in very young babies, that was worrisome. Once I got a few grains in an eye. I did find it to get into the feathers and turn to concrete if you missed a spot cleaning up. That said, I always had good growth on it. I then tried Higgins In Tune - smelled great to the human, but mixed TOO smoothly, and is high in sugar. Next I went to Tropican as the Hagen labs are run by vets and biologists that I trusted. It mixes easily, and I have had good luck with it the last 5 years. I saw Psittacus come out and I was tempted to try it, but didn't know much about the company so I just stuck with the Tropican I was having great luck with.

MMRK

Freshly Laid Egg
We used to use Kaytee, but I found it too grainy. Especially in very young babies, that was worrisome. Once I got a few grains in an eye. I did find it to get into the feathers and turn to concrete if you missed a spot cleaning up. That said, I always had good growth on it. I then tried Higgins In Tune - smelled great to the human, but mixed TOO smoothly, and is high in sugar. Next I went to Tropican as the Hagen labs are run by vets and biologists that I trusted. It mixes easily, and I have had good luck with it the last 5 years. I saw Psittacus come out and I was tempted to try it, but didn't know much about the company so I just stuck with the Tropican I was having great luck with.
Thank you so much. I think I am going to order some to give it a try. My Linnie just laid her first clutch and 6 of the 7 eggs so far have hatched! I will know in another day or 2 if the 7th is also good.