Help with new Linnie

Isabel22O

Freshly Laid Egg
Hey everyone!
I got my first Linnie the other day, she’s already made great progress. I taught her how to step up, she let me pet her, and she took her first bath today and loved it. I have another parrotlet who is super sweet. And I’m hoping they will be friends in the future. I wanted to ask will my Linnie be ok without another Linnie and would the parrotlet keep her company when I can’t be with her? Also feel free to leave any advice!

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on the new Linnie! Was she hand-fed?

Parrotlets, though small.... pack a lot of attitude. It can be tricky to have them in the same space. Caging together I wouldn't recommend. If they have spent some time in the same room for a while, you could try monitored out of cage time in a neutral room, but I would really keep an eye on them.

If they get some good out of cage time, being without a cage buddy should be fine. Rotating good toys, some classical music in the room, and the interest of another bird in a cage should keep them happy when you aren't with them.

If you want to consider a cage buddy, same sex (existing bird tested with dna first to make sure you know what you have, then dna before purchase of new one. I recommend Avian Biotech in Tallahasee, FL), kept out of same airspace for 40 days for quarantine, then cages in same room for a few weeks, then out of cage introductions away from the cages. Even same sex birds can bond heavily, so be sure to spend individual time with each at least a few times a week.

Post a pic! We love seeing them ♥

Isabel22O

Freshly Laid Egg
Thank you! Yes she was hand fed. I did lots of research and I know to be careful since I know parrotlets can be mean at times. Most of there interactions are from a distance and supervised I’m taking it slow. But I do think they could be friends just cause my parrotlet is nicer than most. I will never cage them together, cause I know parrotlets are territorial and I don’t want to put my sweet Linnie in a bad position. I have a bird room that my parrotlet uses all day and only goes in her cage when she wants. So once the Linnie can fly and I know her and my parrotlet can be nice to one another my hope is for her to have free range as well.

Isabel22O

Freshly Laid Egg
Also, she seems very content now with my parrotlet somewhat being her friend and me. But how would you know if they need a friend? Would there be any signs?

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
I had a lovebird (Eddie, my heart bird) for 16 years that is a species known for aggression (like a parrotlet) and he lived with Linnies for 10 years, but they were 10' long walk in flights. He thought he was a human, so it was never a problem. This is the exception and not the rule. I think you will be ok as you won't house them together.

Be sure one isn't clipped and the other flighted when they meet to keep the playing field more equal.

What are their sexes? Female parrotlets can be nice as pie if not hormonal, but it's possible if she gets there... her personality can shift.

Check out this article about how to discourage hormone triggering (helpful for any sex) and if you see the parrotlet looking like velvet, and in top condition.... know that means its in breeding condition. That is when you may want to be more watchful.

When you look at your bird and say "wow! you look amazing right now!" That is top condition = breeding condition

I think you're going to be just fine because you are smart, thinking this out, and doing your research.

Keep us posted!

Isabel22O

Freshly Laid Egg
How you described the love bird is exactly how my Dixie ( the parrotlet) is. She is truly one of a kind. She is a female and so is the Linnie. The parrotlet has already reached maturity and has gone through a stage prior to getting the Linnie where she was a little bit more mean but nothing to bad. The Linnie and parrotlet have had a few good interactions my parrotlet just doesn’t know quite yet what to think of her. I think she’s a little bit scared of her since she is a little bigger. But so far they have been doing great together. My Linnie sadly had her wings clipped prior to getting her but I am going to grow them out and teach her how to fly safely. My parrotlet came the same way but now her wings are grown out and since I trained her she flies like a Pro. I think it will take a few months for the Linnie to grow out her flight wings and actually fly good. Dixie is able to fly away when she gets uncomfortable with the Linnie but the Linnie has never tried to run away or even fly when her and Dixie are by each other. It’s really cute how much the Linnie already adores her, she just loves to watch her and always tries to copy what my parrotlet does.
Thank you!

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
Linnies molt at a much slower rate, so it may take some time to regrow compared to other species. Just remember that hormone cycles can change everything. When you see the parrotlet molt, know that on the other side of it.... if she is looking amazing and like velvet.... that is breeding condition. That can bring on unusual aggression. When they molt, bump the protein and boost spraying with water (I like room temp or cooler, with a few drops of ACV). Spray in molt at least daily... regular times, I get them to the point that water rolls off them like a ducks back, then go to maintence. I don't think I have written an article about this, so if that is something anyone wants to read about my experience with it, let me know and I can put something together.