Home decor: Dried flowers and grasses?

Shivali

Hatchling
đź‘‹ hi!
Wondering if anyone knows anything about dried Pampas grass, bunny tails, or other dried grasses/flowers.
I like to use them in home decor/in vases… but since I started having birds I don’t use anything except certain artificial types that are well made and don’t have little plastic parts or glue, or things like dried baby’s breath which I know is non toxic.
My birds want nothing to do with any of it , but nevertheless I would of course never have anything toxic in the home.

I’m thinking dried seagrass (just the grass) could be ok, as they make seagrass mats and neelu loves to chew on those?
I’m sure certain dried palms might be ok but I know certain palms are not good, so haven’t dabbled in that yet. I had a cat palm that died so I may get another.

pampas grasses are everywhere these days and we even have some growing out back.
I’ve read that wild birds and sparrows like the grass and eat the seeds.
but I won’t bring them in unless I’m sure, and I haven’t read anything yet to make me feel secure about it.
also bunny tails (Lagarus ovatum?) I can’t find anything about.

Im certain that dried wheat and foxtail millet, as well as mahogany pods, are ok.

I wasn’t sure where to post this, technically it’s not enrichment but environment I guess?
Does anyone have any thoughts?
I obviously don’t bring anything into the home unless I am 💯 sure, so don’t worry my friends. But even then, some online sources can be misleading or contradictory!
thanks!

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
I am no expert on rare plants or flowers as far as toxicity, I think there are some good internet sources for that. My concern would be about the growing conditions and drying process for potential chemicals. If they are leaving them alone, that is great, but..... sometimes it just takes a change in the wind to make a bird mess with things they usually leave alone. When in doubt, leave it out? That said, I have always admired those of you with beautiful decorating ♥

edarling

Hatchling
Hi, I have probably 100+ houseplants in my house. Some of them are toxic, but none of them are around the cage, and that has been enough deterrent for our linnie. There is only one that Goose has shown any interest in, so we watch him around that one. I think that with dried or live plants you just need to gauge the threat for your particular situation.