new bird transport- any tips?

edarling

Hatchling
Hello! We are picking up a 2 year old male Linnie tomorrow. It's a four hour car trip (each way) and we'd love to hear any tips on making it more comfortable for the bird, especially since we haven't met it yet. We have a small carrying thing that doesn't have a lot of windows (see photo), so we're considering also bringing the whole flight cage in the car and a blanket to cover as needed. We're prepared with lots of yummy snacks and toys, what else can we do to minimize the bird's stress on the trip and when getting back late at night? Ginger tea? One of those anti-stress additives to the water? Thanks so much!

Attachments

Love My Linnie

Hatchling
Congratulations on your new Linnie! I drove my minivan when we moved from Florida to New York State with 12 budgies, 2 cockatiels, one Linnie and my husband. The birds had a better time than my husband and I. 😄 I had 6 flight cages with all the birds divided into them. My Linnie had his own cage that had all his toys, perches, food dishes and was his usual cage. They were all happy to be in their familiar cages with all their things and able to see each other. They all sang the whole 3 day trip. 🥴 😳 I think if you have the space in your vehicle, you may want to use the flight cage for your 8 hour trip. If you can get anything from his present cage (toys, favorite perches, familiar food dishes, etc.) he might be less stressed during your trip. Partially covering the cage with a towel or blanket might make him feel more secure and help keep him calmer too. Good luck and safe trip! Can’t wait to see pics of your new baby!

edarling

Hatchling
Congratulations on your new Linnie! I drove my minivan when we moved from Florida to New York State with 12 budgies, 2 cockatiels, one Linnie and my husband. The birds had a better time than my husband and I. 😄 I had 6 flight cages with all the birds divided into them. My Linnie had his own cage that had all his toys, perches, food dishes and was his usual cage. They were all happy to be in their familiar cages with all their things and able to see each other. They all sang the whole 3 day trip. 🥴 😳 I think if you have the space in your vehicle, you may want to use the flight cage for your 8 hour trip. If you can get anything from his present cage (toys, favorite perches, familiar food dishes, etc.) he might be less stressed during your trip. Partially covering the cage with a towel or blanket might make him feel more secure and help keep him calmer too. Good luck and safe trip! Can’t wait to see pics of your new baby!
Thanks so much! You're making me feel more relieved that it's ONLY an 8 hour trip :D

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I missed this message! I always recommend a box or smaller type transport cage that doesn't have wire in case they flap and get stuck, or bust a blood feather. They usually don't eat much more than spray millet in transport, so that plus a wedge of apple for hydration is great! How did it go?

edarling

Hatchling
So we ended up keeping him in a different smaller cage that was more open for the long drive. He was a little panicky at first but once in the cage calmed down quickly, and I kept it on my lap the whole way home. He seems to be settling in ok, is pretty chatty and curious, and does like to come out of his cage and explore some. He's not really interested in stepping up on a finger, but does like to climb all over us. And yes, he loves apple! And Asian pear!! Thanks for the help :)

Attachments

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
Adorable! How old? I see some pin feathers in the face. Is he tame? I find it can take up to 30 days for them to fully relax.

edarling

Hatchling
Oh my gosh, we are having so much fun with Goose! He's such a big personality :D Training has not been progressing very quickly, but we are enjoying just spending time together.