Recall Training

srirachaseahawk

Fledgling
So I’m starting to work with Hemi on this now that he actually has his flight feathers.

It’s…yeah.
He has no interest in flying to me, no matter what treat that I have. When I ask him to, he just Linnie-stares at me 🤣.
When I walk over to him, he will gently step up and then fly back to his station on command.
It’s just the “fly to me” piece. He seems genuinely confused as to why I would ask him to do that when he can just step up 🙄.

I’ve also tried long sleeve shirts to see if it’s a hands thing, but no joy there either.
He enjoys stepping up and then having me let him fly to a distant perch, like on his cage; but no interest in recall.

So far, he doesn’t fly anywhere on his own unless he’s startled. He only flies when he steps onto my hand and then I give him a gentle nudge to fly to a perch.

Typical Linnie? Or is Hemi just stubborn :)

Love My Linnie

Hatchling
Toula will come when I call her most of the time. Especially if I’m eating something. 🙄 Most times she just ignores me. She seems to have selective hearing. That’s when I get the “Linnie stare” 😶 and I have to go get her. She did an excellent job training me. 🥴 So it must be a Linnie thing. 😆

Eddie's Aviary

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, Linnies aren't the easiest to flight train. The fact that they can be clumsy with their feet which makes stepping up cleanly a little tricky for them I don't think helps. That said... a quick flight to the shoulder when you open the door, that can feel "flight trained" ha ha